Eligibility to enroll in MATH A257 Calculus I

CHEM A105 General Chemistry I Lecture
3.00 crs.

This course is the first half of a one-year course in the fundamental principles of general chemistry. This is the first chemistry course for all science majors and includes the development of modern atomic theory, chemical bonding and structure, and the nature of matter and physical states. Included is an introduction to thermodynamics and kinetics with a more thorough development of equilibria concepts. Descriptive chemistry is liberally sprinkled throughout the course.

Prerequisite
Eligibility to enroll in MATH A257 Calculus I, ACT score of 23 or higher / SAT score of 560 or higher, Completion of MATH A118 Pre-Calculus Math
BIOL A107 Cells and Heredity Lab
1.00 crs.

Students investigate the scientific method, basic chemical concepts, prokaryotic and eukaryotic cell structure and function, Mendelian inheritance, and the structure, function, and technological uses of DNA.  This laboratory course emphasizes student-designed experiments, data collection and analysis, oral and written presentation, and the use of the scientific literature.  Lab fee $100.